This post may contain affiliate links.
Sources: Europe, USA, Vietnam, India, Egypt, Comoro islands
Extraction: Steam distilled
Scent: Herbaceous, spicy, anise
- Is said to have a purifying effect on the body (Schiller)
- Eases stress and headaches
- Promotes mental clarity and concentration
- Can be calming and helpful in insomnia
- Can be helpful for respiratory conditions
Properties: Analgesic, antibacterial, antidepressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, expectorant, stimulant, insecticide
Uses: Coughs, sinusitis, colds, mental fatigue, migraines, insomnia, depression, nausea, flu, mental clarity
Cautions: Do not use if pregnant, or on children/teens. Basil can cause stupor which can result in falls. Do not use if epileptic. May cause skin irritation in some. Varieties that are high in the component methyl chavicole may be carcinogenic (Tisserand).